Sunday, October 21, 2007

Oil Painting

For another personal project (web based) I have worked on some image processing, hence the lack of updates this month. Rather than let the new code go to waste I have applied it to Decade too see the results. Here is a normal screen shot of Decade



and here is Decade as an Oil Painting.

I am happy with the results, although now a little unsatisfied that the manipulation is not real time. I'm not sure of the possibility of writing a Pixel Script to do this in real time because it requires sampling multiple pixels in order to create the smudged Oil Paint effect. Despite this I still plan to at least try and implement an Oil Painting script sometime. It would be nice to make a game where it appears that the whole world is painted, and perhaps the levels of the game could be based on classic painting by Da Vinci, Picasso etc.


I have also been working on Atmospheric Scattering this month but because of my other commitments have not yet fully integrated with Decade. I will try and get a video update soon to at least give a taster of my progress.

The other day I found a shortcut to my old website. It has been almost 3 years since it was updated. Hosted on an Irish telecoms provider, I do not seem to be able login to my account from outside Ireland so it has remained static since I left. It has some fond memories for me. This was my start in game programming as a hobby. The host where my game demos were stored is no longer active so you cannot download anything. If you would like to try anything leave a comment and let me know. I will then find the game in my archive and upload it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ciarán!
    I tried to contact you, but I only found your old website with no contact information.
    Anyway I would be happy if we could share our ideas. You can add me on msn: n_technologies@web.de

    Your Oil Painting shader looks cool. I tried once to make one, too.
    Keep going!
    And if you don't mind, I would love to test your (old) game "Crazy Pool".

    ReplyDelete